Dying Embers out now

Dying Embers out now

Sunday 3 February 2013

Darker Times and a Liebster list


I found out this morning that my short story 'Abraham's Bosom' will be included in the next Darker Times Anthology (Volume 3). I'm very pleased it will see the light of day; it was another one of my early stories which I have since re-written. I think I have shortened it by about a third, and it is much improved! Many thanks to Jessica Grace Coleman at Darker Times.


I also found out I have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Paul D. Dail. Thanks Paul, it's a great honour! Here are the requirements:
• I have to list 11 random facts about me, and answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated me.
• I am to nominate 11 other people, and come up with 11 new questions.  I can’t nominate the person who nominated me (for obvious reasons.)
• I paste the award picture on my blog.

Here are 11 (very boring) facts about me, then:
1. I asked permission to leave the family dining table after each meal until the age of 27.
2. I produced artwork for Thomas the Tank Engine comics when I was an illustrator.
3. I try to run every day if I can. Can't miss my Sunday long run!
4. I love motorcycles. I used to own a Kawasaki GPz1100 and rode everywhere flat out. That was before speed cameras, mind you ... and before my marriage.
5. I ate the same kind of cereal for breakfast for around 20 years.
6. I used to play squash fairly seriously.
7. I loved school dinners.
8. I hate shopping.
9. I can't swim very well (more of an issue here in Aus than back in the UK.)
10. My father and grandfather owned MuDu watches, which I still have. I occasionally buy one if one comes up on ebay ... so I have a small collection.
11. New Order is my favourite band (but I have many favourites.)

These are Paul's questions for me:
1. What was one of the first books to have a profound effect on you (interpret as you will)?
1984 taught me that books could be bitter-sweet.

2. More peanut butter or more jelly on your sandwich?
Peanut butter (has to be quality stuff though!)

3. What’s one of the scariest things you’ve done?
Took some flying lessons.

4. What’s one of the stupidest things you’ve done?
Found out that 110mph can be attained in 3rd gear on a particular dual-carriageway if a GPz1100 is ridden to work every day.

5. What’s your first choice: beer, wine, hard liquor, soda, other?
Beer but rarely. (Mainly green tea.)
 
6. For #5, your favorite brand/style/cocktail?
Cooper's ale. (Mildura for the tea.)

7. If you could live anywhere for a year (money and/or reality are no object), where would it be?
Right here. Sydney's pretty good!

8. Who is one person who has been a big inspiration to you?
Haile Gebrselassie

9. If you were given the choice between losing your sight or your hearing, which would it be?
Pardon?

10. Speaking of hearing, who is one of your favorite bands or musicians?
The Smiths (see my own facts above.)

11. Have you ever done karaoke?
No. My reserved nature would never allow me to even try.


My 11 nominees:
(I'm including a number of people I know little about, in order to find out more about them.  I'm very sorry if you’ve already been nominated, or if you are irritated by me nominating you.)

1. James Everington
2. Chris Hill
3. Dionne Lister
4. Gary Dolman
5. Gregory James
6. Melissa Pearl
7. Bev Spicer
8. Clare Adams
9. Lisa Corelli
10. Caffeine & Chapters
11. Riley Banks

Finally, here are the questions for my nominees:
1. Do you write your first drafts by hand?
2. Do you follow more than 10 blogs?
3. Do you play a musical instrument?
4. Given the choice, which opera would you attend?
5. e-book or paper book?
6. Do you use an electric blanket?
7. Do you write in cafes?
8. Is there a film that has influenced you greatly?
9. Do you keep a diary?
10. Which foodstuff do you like the least?
11. Do you listen to music while you work? If so, what?

Well, that's it then. I look forward to finding out your responses!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for nominating me :). Wow you're an illustrator too! Congrats on your story being included in an anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. Yes, I used to do kids' books and greetings cards, stuff like that ... in a previous life!

    ReplyDelete